1. What is your day job?
2. What is your dream job?
Something to do with photography, or traveling, or reading books for pleasure. If I could do all 3 at once, that would be the dream of all dreams. (Sounds like a permanent vacationer after you say it out loud. Hmm)
3. What jobs do you do within your league?
Bout Production Director, Fresh Meat Committee, Sponsorship Committee, & TSPC.
4. If you were an animal, what animal would you be and why?
A jaguar. They are intelligent, fast, strong and clever.
5. Have you played any other sports? If so, which sports?
Softball, basketball, and volleyball.
6. How long have you played derby?
I started in July of 2011 – so 10 months.
7. What got you interested in roller derby?
I became immediately interested when I first saw Whip It. I wanted to do it SO BADLY, but never thought it was something I could achieve, seeing as I had never skated before. A few years later, after I moved, I decided to give it a go. Best. decision. ever.
8. What’s the origin of your name?
I’m from Philadelphia (just moved to Hagerstown a year and a half ago) and I’m proud of where I’m from. It’s so much a part of who I am that I wanted to incorporate that into my name in a witty / BAMF way.
9. What is the origin of your number?
It’s Philly’s area code.
10. What would you say is the hardest part of being on a roller derby team?
TIME! Balancing and prioritizing derby and non-derby life. This is not a knitting club, or a pick-up poker game that you play once a month. This is a serious, competitive sport that requires a tremendous amount of time and commitment both on and off the track.
11. What advice would you give to women who want to play roller derby?
Just try it. Take that first step and contact your local league and start coming to practice. You’ll know very quickly if it’s something you want to do, and if it is, you can do it. Work hard, never give up, celebrate even the littlest of accomplishments, and do all you can to learn everything you can. It is not easy, but it will be more rewarding than you can imagine.
12. What is your (roller derby) position of choice?
Blocker… for now
13. What is your skate gear of choice?
Right now I am in a love-hate relationship with my new 595′s.
14. Do you have a pre-bout ritual?
Make sure everything for bout production is completed, make sure my gear is in order, and try to be well-rested.
15. What are some of your best/favorite moments in roller derby?
Passing my fresh meat test to become a Vixen. I hope I always remember the way that made me feel And skating in my very first bout.
16. Who are your roller derby heroes?
There are so many big-name skaters that I admire and respect (Bonnie Thunders, Tef, Persephone, Suzy Hotrod, Atomatrix, DeRanged). But my every day heros are my teammates, who push themselves and each other to try to be the best they can be individually and together as a team.
17. What goes through your brain as you lace up your skates?
Is my moleskin gonna hold up tonight?
18. How would you describe your derby playing style?
I don’t think I have a style yet. I’m aggressive, which you may not expect. And I’m always trying to think ahead, be where my team needs me to be, and play strategically.
19. What is your worst injury?
Level 2 tear of my MCL.
20. What are some of your greatest roller derby accomplishments?
Becoming a Vixen, runner-up rookie of the year, and May 2012 SOTM
21. Anyone you would like to give thanks to?
My girl, my family, and my friends for being so supportive and encouraging since I started pursuing this. My FM coach for coaching me. My team for helping me get to where I am, for making me laugh, and for always pulling together. You are all awesome.